Saturday, April 19, 2008

19/04/08: The cherries blossom: PACHA WITH STEVE LAWLER

It was like a light globe clicked on over my head when I realised tonight there are only six weeks until the summer opening parties, which - to Miss W anyway - means basically three things:

1. I seriously need to get in training. And I don’t just mean the Bikram yoga variety (though I am planning to give it another go next week), I mean the increase-stamina-for-summer type of training. These all night clubbing affairs, well, I’m just not used to it any more. Suggestions welcome.

2. I need some new clothes! I’m noticing a lot of newbies arriving on the island with their very special ‘Ibiza outfits’ - you know, Kate Moss-eque gladiator sandals and flirty patterned frocks - and while my wardrobe is actually packed with these Ibiza staples, I think it’s time to give it a bit of a revamp.

3. I need to brush up on my musical knowledge (and thus my dance moves) so I can move to the groove a little better come opening party time. With the International Music Summit looming, the last thing Miss W wants is to be standing beside an über-important music industry type (or DJ/producer) and have to nod enthusiastically, rather than voice her own opinion on the music.

Tonight it seemed the entire island had turned out for the appearance of big name guest DJ Steve Lawler
- who kept the dance floor packed all night - from rival club promoters to superstar DJs and local celebrities. And of course, it was nice to see the entire Pacha Ibiza family out in force once again.

THE LOWDOWN

The good: The fabulous soundtrack provided by Steve Lawler. If this is what’s in store for summer, we can’t wait to hear more.
The bad: Miss W would like to issue a personal apology to Mr Lawler after spending a good hour asking him about the hottest new tunes for summer. I promise, next time I’ll do my homework BEFORE the gig and leave you to drink your beer in peace…
The gossip: People on the island may gossip about the reasons behind Pete Tong’s move from Pacha to Eden but Miss W can report that rumours of a fall-out are just idle gossip - the BBC Radio 1 DJ was back at his old stomping ground tonight in a show of pre-season support.