Saturday, December 6, 2008

06/12/08: Dreaming of a White Christmas…

The first few days of December in Ibiza were a little wet and soggy, even included some snow, which by all accounts is extremely rare - but there’s something kind of magical about seeing the normally lush green countryside covered in white powder so the sudden chill was very welcome.

Speaking of magical, it’s the festive season where Ibiza really comes alive. ‘Whaaaaat?!’ I hear you exclaim, probably thinking there is enough life on the island during summer to last the entire year, however Miss W is here to inform you that Ibiza has done the equivalent of getting a haircut and splashing out on a new party frock, undergoing a makeover for the occasion.

A stroll through Ibiza town – and Santa Gertrudis, Jesus, Sant Jordi and Santa Eularia among other villages – shows off this amazing transformation. Every street, lamp post, square, park and even shop windows are adorned with the most amazing Christmas displays, from dazzling lights and striking trees to quaint decorations and markets aplenty. It’s enough to make you think you’ve stumbled across Santa’s hometown – or his holiday getaway at the very least!

Of course, being the shopaholic that I am, it was the markets that peaked my interest so the minute the weather cleared up – and you’ll be pleased to know it’s now all blue skies – I donned my festive finest and headed to Vara de Rey to get amongst the action.

It was the covered marquee, housing the most beautiful array of Christmas trees, decorations and lighting, which put the first dent in Miss W’s Fendi wallet, where I opted for a faux (but very lifelike) tree with gold and pink themed decs. Then it was onto some stocking filler-type goodies from the rows of mini-market stalls lining the square. Of course I can’t actually tell you what I bought or it wouldn’t be a surprise come Christmas day, but I just think knitted scarves, hand made trinkets, embossed leather belts and strings of pretty coloured lights and you’ll get the idea.

After indulging in some fairy floss, a hot dog and a Nutella crepe along with some Gluhwein (similar to mulled wine) from the stalls surrounding the kiddie fun fair, it was next stop, Las Dalias. The infamous hippy market throws open it’s wooden gates for winter, complete with decorations and festively themed gift ideas – the difference to summer is that the stalls are in indoors and with plenty of Gluhwein to go round, it was retail therapy indeed – in fact at one point, I must admit I got so into the spirit of shopping I seemed to have purchased more gifts for myself than those on my list.

Well, I had to make sure there’d be something under the tree for myself in case Santa decides I’ve been naughty…

MISS W’S CHRISTMAS WISHLIST
1. The gorgeous bronze silk sports jacket in Kurru Kurru – the perfect lightweight accessory to throw over a little black dress or team with jeans.
2. A whimsical Morrocan tea set from KsaR – makes me feel all Alice In Wonderland and will inspire me to have a tea party.
3. Black Superfine jeans from reVolver – the perfect fit. And if they’re good enough for Kate Moss…
4. The amazingly soft over-the-knee grey suede boots in Histericomplements – flat, so ideal for dancing all night long on NYE.
5. A membership to the Gran Hotel’s Open Spa – all this winter food means Miss W really needs to practice some serious yoga.