Wednesday, March 19, 2008

19/03/08: The return of jet-set chic: EL AYOUN OPENING PARTY

As I hopped into the car tonight with a White-ette and her Wonderful Boyfriend, I immediately became aware of the fact I again had forgotten to fake tan (essential on an island of bronzed beauties) and resolved to keep my coat on all evening - a resolve I instantly forgot, tossing said coat into a corner after just one glass of bubbles!

El Ayoun Head-to-toe glamour was apparent as we waltzed down the red carpet and through the ever-so-cute teensy wooden door of El Ayoun - who by the way, are celebrating their 10th anniversary this year. Think jaw-dropping floor length red gowns to chic Pobs and plenty of Talitha Getty-esque kaftans, I couldn’t help but wonder which woodwork these girls had crawled (or strutted) from. Was this the actual ‘jet-set’, flown in for the event?

Demand for tables in the restaurant meant it was completely booked out, so Miss W had a champagne supper - bikini season is rapidly approaching so I wasn’t complaining. I overheard a well-known local restaurant manager raving that the new sushi lounge was fantastic and so I plan to head back next Friday night to try it out!
El Ayoun
Instead, I made do with pretending I was an extra in a Kylie Minogue film clip - the décor really is tres chic and the crowd certainly looked the part. Watched some trendy youngsters (who needed some tips on how to apply hair gel) throw shapes on the dance floor, all the while keeping one eye on their own reflections in the mirror! Certainly no Potential Boyfriend, but definitely good for a giggle…



THE LOWDOWN

The good: A super stylish sushi bar has replaced the old boutique and not a moment too soon. A girl can never have enough tuna sashimi…
The bad: Certain outfits - including some 80s-esque printed leggings and a floor length fur ensemble - proving that money really can’t buy style.
The gossip: With the new legislation regarding noise and entertainment licenses, it was questionable just how far into the evening El Ayoun would be able to continue with a live DJ spinning… let me just say it certainly went on long enough for Miss W to have a good time!